I've been pondering for some time as to whether or not to shift the blog off the current site and host it locally (on a computer I actually can beat on when it screws up). I've been loathe to dedicate a whole machine to the task due to the cost, energy consumption due to 24 hour operation, and general pain-in-the-assiness of it all. That being said, I've discovered that my answer to the problem has been sitting here for a year now. We have this little thing called a network attached storage device- it's a little wireless thing-a-majig that controls some backup hard drives on our local network. It turns out this device has a 266 MHz processor, 32 meg of ram and a dedicated flash storage disk- in short it's a little computer about the size of a paperback book. There's no monitor, keyboard, or any of that fancy stuff- but the core system that runs it is based on linux and some clever folks have developed a method to get it up and running as a web server. At any rate, I've done some fiddling around with it and currently have ftp access up and running. I'll be enabling http (webpage) access soon and we'll do a trial run of a Viv page hosted here. What this also means is that I'll be able to make a huge collection of pictures and movies accessible for downloading.
I'm working on this as kind of a hobby project since I enjoy fiddling with computers. So, you may have some amazingly nifty site with audio/video and optional backrubs up and running shortly. Or, I may find it too irritating to mess with and give it up. Either way, I'll let everyone know.
2 comments:
did you really mean backrubs? SIGN ME UP!!
Grammy J
that was a typo- I meant to say 'full body shiatsu massage'
Post a Comment