Vivienne had her first bottle of breast milk today! I have been pumping once a day for about a week now, and we have around 20 ounces of milk in the freezer. We decided to try out the Playtex drop-in system bottle with the low-flow, latex nipple. We considered using a silicone nipple, but since neither of us has a latex allergy and latex is supposed to feel more like a real nipple, we selected it. Viv approved. She took to it right away and emptied her bottle in no time. This opens up a whole new realm of possibilities to me. Still, we'll likely stick to our usual routine with Vivienne practicing on the bottle here and there so she'll be ok with my return to work. Needless to say, Curt got the honor of feeding her. And, I had been warned that some babies won't take a bottle with their mom around, but Viv let me stick around to see and photograph the big event.


3 comments:
Next up - Red Beans and Rice!!!
Glad she took the bottle well :) The great thing about the drop-ins is you can freeze them in the bottles ... then just take the frozen bottles to the caregiver's ... at least that's how we had to do it for our crazy daycare. Remember she's better at getting milk out of you than the pump is, be careful about how many bottles you give her until you have to rely on them. Can you tell I had supply problems? paranoid? me? Ann A.
Just be sure to give one often enough that she won't mind the bottle still when you go back to work. I gave my child one bottle, and he took it fine. Then I worried about it no more. When I went back to work, he absolutely refused the bottle -- we were all miserable! -- Christie
Post a Comment