Friday, November 03, 2006

Bitter Bottle Battles

Twenty-two days ago we reported joyously that Vivienne had taken a bottle, no problem. That was the last we were so lighthearted about the prospect of giving Viv a bottle. With a lot of wailing and body-stiffness, she rejected the very next bottle she was offered. Since then Mom and Curt have been trying daily to offer at least one bottle to Viv. Curt’s latest success (two days ago) came when Vivienne was asleep and didn’t even wake up to eat. She was too tired not to take it, I guess. We have ordered a breast-shaped bottle that supposedly works in some cases. We are not overly optimistic, but we figure it’s worth a try.
This bottle rejection is a BIG problem, because I will be returning to work soon. I have no idea what we are going to do. She is already getting less milk during the day than she needs because she gets so tired pushing the bottle away during these hour-long bottle-rejection sessions that she falls asleep, skipping whatever meal we attempted the bottle. As a result, she has stopped sleeping through the night like she had been. This is going to become a gigantic problem once I return to work. I had been happy because I thought she’d be sleeping through the night by the time I went back to work. We were making such good progress in that department. As it turns out she’ll likely keep us awake all night long once I go back because she will be trying to nurse enough by night to make up for the hours she’ll have starved herself during the day. Advice anyone? We have tried the Medela bottle & silicone nipple, as seen below, along with the latex Playtex NaturaLatch and latex Platex orthodontic nipples. The one she hates the least so far is the NaturaLatch one.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

have you tried the old fashioned yellowish rubber or whatever nipples? those seemed to be what mia would take...

good luck!

terenia

Anonymous said...

Also try using a sharp blade or scissors on the tip of the nipple to increase the flow rate. She may not like to "work" for her food. You may need to consider giving up the "real deal" if she continues to fight the synthetic. Pumping isn't fun but it can be done (I did it for many months) and is worth it if you want Viv to get Mom's milk. Bottom line, the kid isn't going to starve. She will eat ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice and Curt,
You don't know me, I'm a good friend of Dave Rhodes in Seattle. He sent me the link to your blog, because he's been listening to me complain about the same problem with my 5 month old daughter.
I started back to work 3 days ago, and at the time she wasn't taking the bottle at all. And same as you, she had been taking it fine a couple months earlier, and just one day decided she hated it. I spoke to the doctor and she assured me she wouldn't starve herself, but would probably make up at night what she wasn't getting during the day. On her first day at daycare, she only drank 4 oz (2 oz at 2 feedings) plus what I gave her when I stopped by at lunch. Today, in just the morning she had taken two 3 oz bottles, so she's slowly getting better. Her sleeping hasn't really been any differnt than before, but she also wasn't sleeping through the night.
I too tried many different nipples, and she seems to prefer the Avent bottles. They have different flow nipples you can buy. I sympathize with you, and know exactly what you are going through. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!!

Jean Simmons said...

We had the same experience with Ava. We thought we were home free when she took her first bottle but she was just fooling us as these creatures so often do. She eventually settled for the Gerber Nuk Orthodontic Silicone nipples. She didn't make much progress until I actually returned to work. I imagine Viv will hold out as long as she can too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Alice and Curt ... I don't know how the bottle battle is progressing ... but there is more info on kellymom.com than you can shake a stick at - and on the message boards there is a "pumping moms" section full of advice on pumping and bottle selection. *IF* you plan on continuing breastfeeding after you return to work, be careful about offering a nipple other than the "slow flow" the baby can get used to the fast flow of milk and refuse the breast afterwards. We had the best luck with the naturalatch as well ... I prefered the silicon, but the latex may have a better texture - closer to breast. When you return to work - she'll eat. I wouldn't fight her a lot on it right now ... she'll either nurse more when you're together to compensate for you being apart ... or she'll learn to take the bottle. Have you tried Curt giving the bottle while Alice is out of the house?

As for sleeping issues ... I can't recommend co-sleeping enough. It's the only way we've continued nursing through the night and working full time for 17 months of Julian. We put him in the crib for the first part of the night, and get him when he cries. It can work out, honest.