Thursday, November 06, 2008

Great Grandma Jarand


Early this morning, Viv and Gus's great grandmother passed away. She lived long enough to meet Viv several times but not quite long enough to meet Gus, which makes me about as sad as her passing. She was a smart, beautiful and kind woman and the world is a little bit worse off for the lack of her presence.


She was someone who never raised her voice and never had a bad word to say about anything. Through my entire life I can only remember one time when she got angry. When I was 5 or so my dad had some crazy idea and set up a still to make what can only be accurately called moonshine. He brought a big jar of this to Christmas one year and I sat playing cards with my grandfather, uncle Roger and my dad while they choked this stuff down. By the end of the night they had all managed to keep the swill down, but were all staggeringly drunk. My grandmother was not impressed and told them all in no uncertain terms what she thought of all this. They almost didn't get their presents the next morning.

She will be missed and it makes me sad to think that Viv and Gus won't get to know her as well I did.

2 comments:

Kersten said...

awwww...very sad.

Kim and Family said...

so sorry for the loss