Sunday, September 17, 2006

Pacifier Question

Al and I, in act of desperation tried introducing a pacifier last night. She wanted none of it- in fact, it just made her howl more.

So, for all of you that have tried pacifiers (on your baby, that is), when did you start it, and did it help?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I posted this comment earlier but have not seen it show up so I'll write again. I was posting on pacifiers: that's what they are supposed to be: pacifiers. If she doesn't want it now, maybe at some point she will. Just put it in the bassinet or bed with her. She's still new at all this stuff too. About sleeping: I'm far from being "in the game" about all this these days but here's what worked for me: keep her awake as much of the day as possible; be consistent with a schedule; put her in her bed/bassinet before she goes to sleep so she learns what the bed/bassinet are for. If she falls asleep in your arms, that's what she will default to, would be my guess. And then there is always the sage advice of: let her cry. Sometimes they (as little ones) do need to do some of that just to know what it feels like--and you won't like it a bit. And then there is the other idea: is she having stomach trouble from what she's drinking? Like I said: I'm way out of the game here as I had mine so long ago, but I am pretty convinced that all of you all will get the hang of it soon! L

pableaux said...

I'm having a bout of insomnia, so I thought I'd stop by your blog & see how you guys are doing. You all seem to be doing just fine! I can tell Viv is a very good baby.

I don't remember when William started using a pluggy, but I'm pretty sure it was in the first few months (all that sleep deprivation muddled my brain so I can't remember all the details of that time too well). He took to it right away, but I know other kids won't take them at all. I think it's easier if they like them cuz it comforts them, but weening them off of the pluggies later can be a pain (so you can pay now or pay later).

The comment about letting a baby cry to let off some excess energy is very true. Sometimes a baby just needs to cut loose for a little while before settling down. Make sure to swaddle her snugly. If she doesn't settle down after a little bit, then it's probably cuz she's uncomfortable, which is problematic cuz you either have to figure out what the problem is (it's usually gas) or at least figure out how to calm her down. William would calm down if I rocked him in my arms in the bathroom while a hot shower was going. The combination of white noise & steamy warmth soothed him. We used LOTS of hot water during those early months. There are also ways to get the gas outta the baby (particular ways to hold them), but I can't really remember what the methods we used were. I'll see if I can find them again (they worked sometimes & didn't work other times). I remember some books or websites advising feeding a baby formula before bedtime to avoid gas issues cuz the formula might be less likely to cause gas issues than breastmilk (however, you probably know by now that there's WAY too much advice about dealing w/babies & much of it is contradictory). Anyway, you should definitely do some research & experiment with the ideas you think are best.

By the way, I found the video cables for the camcorder (regular RCA cables for a VCR & a firewire cable for a computer). Let me know if you need them & we can arrange a meet.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from Mike and Jaime in Seattle, she is beautiful!!! Our 4 month old Jayden has not taken to a pacifier at all. We have tried numerous times to give him one, and he doesn't want anything to do with it. I guess it just depends on the baby!

Anonymous said...

both of our kids slept in their car seats for the first 3-4 months and loved it. docs don't recommend it as i recall, but it worked for us. also, to get them to fall asleep, we would swing them in the car seat, rock them in the car seat (we actually have little grooves on the floor by the couch), drive them around, or put them on top of the dryer while it was running.

neither of mine loved pacifiers...they took to them only a little bit ever and then only while out.

:)

terenia

Anonymous said...

Liam would not take a pacifier at all,never, never never. wouldn't take a bottle of breast milk either. Nothing we did or tried worked.

Lochlan, loves the pacifier.

same parents, same genes, different kids. If she doesn't want it there is nothing you can do.

Amy