Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Grumble

The new server is (almost) set up. The keyboard for it is a special type of keyboard that only works on Sun systems (and other keyboards, conversely, don't work on Sun systems). Wouldn't ya know it, but the space key on the keyboard is broken. I'm going to run the server in what's called headless mode which means no monitor, keyboard, mouse so no big deal, right? The only catch is that during the install, which uses a keyboard and monitor to make it easier, I needed to type one short string of commands. There were only 3 spaces between words to make it work with remote login and be able to ditch the broken keyboard. So, three strokes of a space key are all that separate me and a functional server.

I ordered a replacement keyboard for $17 bucks tonight. That works out to $5.66 per space.

No comments: